As a professional working in California, you help people live their best life, achieve their dreams, and build something they didn’t have before. Your customers and clients rely on your knowledge, experience, and sound advice, but not everything goes according to plan all the time. Whether you make a mistake or things didn’t work out the way you hoped, your unhappy client may blame you when things go wrong. Protect yourself and your business with a California professional liability insurance policy.
What is professional liability insurance?
Also known as errors and omission (E&O) insurance, professional liability protects you when a client or customer finds you responsible for a problem stemming from your expertise, advice, and service. All service businesses and professionals in California should carry E&O insurance in case of a lawsuit or a big mistake that you have to pay for.
In California, professional liability insurance can’t protect you from criminal charges, but you will be covered if a former client, patient, or customer decides to sue for damages. You’ll also be covered if your expertise leads to a bad outcome and losses for your client. Common claims include negligence, misrepresentation, violation of good faith and fair dealing, and inaccurate advice. Some policies may also cover privacy violations.
Who needs to carry professional liability insurance in California?
The easy answer is anyone who provides a service that requires knowledge and training, but to be more specific, these professionals should purchase liability insurance:
- Real estate professionals
- Make-up, hair, and beauty stylists
- Photography, videography, and marketing professionals
- Doctors, physicians, and anyone providing medical advice
- Lawyers and anyone providing legal advice
- Nutritionists, dieticians, and personal trainers
- Technology professionals from hardware to software
- Tax professionals, accountants, and bookkeepers
- Architects, engineers, and contractors
- And many more!
What does a California professional liability insurance policy include?
Every policy will be different based on your level of coverage, your business industry, and your individual needs. Large corporations will need more insurance than a freelance professional. In general, California professional liability insurance purchased through PTL Insurance Brokers includes the following:
- Employment practices liability
- Personal injury coverage
- Trial defense costs
- Full severability (for innocent parties)
- Free 60-day discovery clause
- Domestic partner extension
- Loss assistance hotline (two free hours of legal consultation)
- Key coverage extensions
- Policy limits up to $15 million
Protect yourself and your business with the right California professional liability insurance policy. Contact PTL Insurance Brokers to learn more and get a free quote for a new policy. Mistakes happen, and things can go wrong — sometimes your best won’t be good enough. When that happens, make sure you’re protected.